CHICAGO — The all-new second edition of “Marketing with Social Media,” a LITA Guide published in cooperation with ALA Editions, gathers a range of contributors to explore real-world uses of library marketing technology, perfect for novices ready to dive in as well as practitioners on the lookout for ways to improve existing efforts. As librarians from all types of institutions share insights on how they use their favorite social media tools to promote their library and build community, this guide:
- covers popular tools such as Snapchat, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter;
- shares four easy-to-use tools for creating memes, tips for creating short videos, and ways to integrate blogs into social media;
- demonstrates how to use reaction GIFs and tagging to boost your Tumblr posts;
- shows how to tailor messages to communicate effectively with different generations and audiences; and
- includes screen shots, illustrations, sample social media policies to help you navigate controversies, and free online training resources.
Thomsett-Scott is head of the Engineering Library at Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). Previously she was with the University of North Texas Libraries for 16 years, serving in several positions involving science librarianship and as reference unit manager. Her professional associations include the American Library Association and the Special Libraries Association, where she has served in various positions. Editor of the LITA Guide “Implementing Virtual Reference Services,” she has published in a variety of journals and presented conference sessions in the areas of website usability, social media, mentoring and training reference staff and students, and technology.